How to exercise injury free is the most common question for any individual who is an athlete or a newbie.
We at Health-gossip thrive to help you to provide best tips to stay injury free while exercising. Considering the increasing level of medical condition affecting people around the world more people are now switching towards exercises as there is evidence based studies proving exercises keep you off from many deadly diseases. Doing right type of exercises not only helps to get fit & stronger but also helps to keep you off from common medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, increased cholesterol, obesity & the list goes on. Hence exercising injury free is very important to keep you on the right track as an injury can stop you from your workout routine or may stop your career as an athlete. So lets get started with the tips to stay injury free.
Tips for exercising injury free for beginners:
- Start with warm up : As a beginner you are most likely to start with some form of cardio which you might think itself as a form of warm up or you might start with gentle weight lifting. Lets make it simple warm up the muscles you are planning to use in the exercises. Example : if you are planning to run on a treadmill do dynamic warm up like jumping jacks or skipping ropes or high knee for couple of reps make sure you prepare your heart with the warm up and establish that good blood flow to the working muscles do not do warm up at 80% of your hear rate max.
- Choose easy & enjoyable exercises : As a beginner you do not want to get yourself involved in a tough exercise program which would limit you from exercising for long time. Start easy exercises & if you haven’t used weights ever before, make sure to use light weight. Do not get embarrassed or try to compare yourself to someone you see at gym who is using heavy weight & doing intense HIIT (High intensity interval training) workout; remember what they are doing didn’t happen over night they also had to input months of training.
- Try to understand the basis of fitness: As a beginner you want to learn some basics like your maximum heart rate which is ( 220 – your current age) what ever number you get you do not want to work out over it & stay at about 50-60% of you maximum heart rate. Understand what you eat, your weight loss is directly dependent on what you eat. Do simple math find out the average calories burnt during the day for an average adult male or female & try to stay 200-300 calories deficient on a daily basis to lose weight. Avoid deep fried & high fat cholesterol food, do not starve or start fasting eat smart, know & count what you eat. Try to incorporate veggies & fibrous carbohydrates & protein in your diet. While doing strength training try to understand which muscle groups you are exercising do just do an exercise because you have seen some one at gym doing it. Try to do the exercise in full range to avoid functional inequalities & avoid injuries. Do not be obsessed with one exercise only try to target different muscle group & incorporate compound exercise which targets multiple muscle groups at once i.e. push up, squat etc.
- Avoid getting trap in myths : Please read this article Fitness myths debunked for more details about the myths you want to avoid getting trapped in
- Understand body signs : Our bodies are design to give us a heads up if something is not right for example you get fever when you have infection, swelling when there is ligament injury or fracture, bruising with underlying rupture or fracture. While you are exercising lets say you are doing weights you should feel soreness on the contracting muscle group or at least you should feel the contracting muscle group; however instead of the soreness you feel pain in the joint, ligament or tendon part of the muscle than consider that as a body sign for injury. Another example is while you are running you suddenly get a limping sensation or start getting dull throbbing pain on shin or Achilles tendon area, consider the same as your body’s warning sign.
- Do proper cool down : People some times don’t have time to do exercises & if they do they just think why the heck should I waste time in cool down & more importantly people just ignore & consider cool down not as an exercise. They don’t do cool down for couple of workouts and think nothing happened & nothing will probably happen but this is not true for long run. Over time avoiding cool down starts making your muscle tighter, muscle fiber starts developing trigger points and over time starts loosing the flexibility & pliability and all this is a recipe for injury.
We hope these tips helps you exercising injury free; after all your goal should be to keep exercising sustainable without injuries so you get the long term benefits of exercises. Please leave a comment down bellow if you like the article or if you would like to see more article about desired topics. Make sure you subscribe to our website so you don’t miss any upcoming post.